Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they want to believe, often for their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they are most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. Going back 6 months people throughout the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately have to go back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a scam, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media marketing as always helps it spread-at times faster compared to the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the reality that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that an average of the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we won’t make a description here just to avoid vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here this writer got a social media forward giving an url to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been defined as a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory reduces at the fundamental premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon should be occurring every year, and why then in 2010 must certanly be so different! Governments need not have gone on an urgent situation drive to produce more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such kinds of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory instance of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) with regards to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the country remains fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million up to now and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is always to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization continue telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that could probably stay for a lot more than two years and the worst is yet to come despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted in the beginning this pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet continue taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly even worse compared to the Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. How come such a mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least this intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that will be.
Within the last few couple of days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill with regards to profit. Like, if your link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media marketing and motivated media outlets consider the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.Read More